When we think about the new year, making our goals and resolutions, we also decide how to make those goals happen. That’s where action points come in.
An action point is a definite activity or task which helps propel us toward the goal.
Did you know that God also uses action points?
A favorite passage for Jesus followers is Psalm 139:23-24. “Search me, O God, and know my heart; test me and know my anxious thoughts. Point out anything in me that offends you, and lead me along the path of everlasting life” (TLB).
A good practice is to pray through these action points and remind God that we want to pursue our relationship with Him.
1. Search me – It’s okay, God, for you to poke around in my soul. You are, after all, Emanuel – God with us. You aren’t scared by what’s inside me.
2. Know my heart – Since my heart belongs to You, God, I invite You into a deeper relationship with me. Know me, love me, pursue me.
3. Test me – Okay, this is not my favorite part, God, but I know that without the test I will have no testimony. So bring it on and then give me strength to pass the test.
4. Know my anxious thoughts – Since You know what I’m thinking, please replace my anxieties with Your peace.
5. Point out anything in me that offends You – For someone who is recovering from legalism, this is a great action point, God. I don’t need to discover my own weaknesses nor do I need to listen to other people list my faults. You know what offends You, and You know how to point it out. This is Your work in me, so I will ignore all the other voices.
6. Lead me along the path of everlasting life – That’s where we are, God, on the path together toward a stronger relationship and an eternity together.
What are some action points you’d like God to take in your life?
© 2013 GateWay of Hope Ministries