When an organization, such as GateWay, begins to offer coaching services – the question is often asked, “How is coaching different from counseling?” We’d like to answer that question.
• Counseling deals more with the past, finding the root of a problem and how it affects behavior in the present.
• The Counseling client is often in crisis or emotional pain.
• Counseling takes place in a specified room with extreme confidentiality.
• Counseling is often a long-term process.
• The Counselor is the expert who directs the session – more of a vertical position.
We have four wonderful counselors at GateWay, two of which are bilingual in Spanish. If you are interested in counseling, please call us at 913.393.GATE (4283) to set up an appointment.
Now for the comparison of Coaching:
• Coaching deals with the present and the future, helping the client move forward in life.
• The Coaching client is a stable person who is not in crisis, but who wants change.
• Coaching can take place in another location besides the office: a coffee shop, through Skype, email, phone calls or one-on-one.
• Coaching occurs until the client has moved past the roadblock and sees results.
• The Coach and the client work in partnership – more of a parallel position.
As of January, 2013, GateWay of Hope will be offering coaching services with a certified Christian life coach. The three areas that our Coach will focus on are:
• The Single Woman – Helping you find success and contentment whether you have never married or if you are single again
• The Spiritual Woman – Helping you grow deeper in your Christian journey
• The Authentic Woman – Helping you become the wonderful woman God created you to be
If you are interested in more information about coaching, please call us at 913.393.GATE (4283).